Chennai Express collected around 12 crore nett on Monday taking its business to 104 crore nett. It is crossed 100 crore nett in four days plus paid previews. Chennai Express failed to beat the highest non-holiday Monday record, which belongs to Ranbir Kapoor’s Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani (Rs 12.7 cr). Its the second record the film has failed to beat since its release last weekend. First record the film failed to beat was Opening day record of Ek Tha Tiger.
Records for first Monday:
* Ek Tha Tiger 19 Crores (Holiday)
* Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani 12.75 Crores (Non-Holiday)
* Chennai Express 12 Crores (Non-Holiday)
Chennai Express broke the record for opening weekend business in US/Canada beating the My Name Is Khan figures and becoming the first Hindi film to cross $2m for weekend business. The top US/Canada opening weekends are as follows.
1. Chennai Express - $2,220,497
2. My Name Is Khan - $1,944,027
3. Om Shanti Om - $1,764,131