Chennai Express ... Final Report!
The business of Chennai Express is completely done. Chennai Express completed 6 weeks-run at Box Office and is off the theatres now.
UTV Motion Pictures did a fab job in distributing the film as it signed a pre-contract with almost every major theatre chains for three-week hassle free run and the contract included the addition of more screens in case if the new releases fails. This enabled the movie to have a free run (to some extent) for the first three weeks. The movie got further push in the trade with the failure of OUATIMD as it was accommodated in more screens from the second week Monday. However, the film’s free run didn’t last long as Madras Cafe and Satyagraha capitalised the market situation and took over the trade at the box office.
Circuit wise performance
It exceeded all expectations and became the all time highest grosser ever by beating 3 Idiots lifetime total of 202.5 Cr in just four weeks. The collections were outstanding and it literally crushed all other movie’s in its way. It did exceptionally well and broke the previous all time lifetime collections at circuits like CP Berar, Nizam, Mysore, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Assam, Orissa. CI, Rajasthan, West Bengal and Bihar. At major circuits like Delhi/UP, Mumbai and East Punjab, the film couldn’t broke the all time circuit record – which is a major setback considering the momentum it gained right from the start.
Chennai Express Week-Wise collections:
Week 1: 145 Crore
Week 2: 40 Crore
Week 3: 16.3 Crore
Week 4: 5.5 Crore
Week 5: 1.21 Crore
Week 6: 0.40 Crore
Total: 208.40 Crore
Total nett collections worldwide:
Domestic: 208.4 Crore (34 Million US Dollars)
Overseas: 119 Crore (19 Million US Dollars)
Total Worldwide: 327.5 Crore
List of Chennai Express records:
- Highest paid preview collections ever: 6 Crore (Previous Record: Three Idiots, 2.7 Crore)
- Biggest second day collections: 26.5 Crore (Previous Record: Ra One, 22.9 Crore)
- The highest opening weekend collections: 86.5 Crore (Previous Record: Yeh Jaawani Hai Deewani, 62 Crore)
- The highest opening week collections: 139 Crore (Previous Record: Ek Tha Tiger, 128 Crore)
- Chennai Express broke the all time records of these following circuits : CP-Berar, Nizam, Mysore, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Assam, Orissa. CI, Rajasthan, West Bengal and Bihar.
- The highest grosser in India ever: 208.4 Crore (Previous Record: Three Idiots 202.5 Crore)
Chennai Express broke the all time highest grosser (Domestic) record of 3 Idiots, and is the third highest grosser in overseas after My Name Is Khan and Three Idiots. Chennai Express is also the second highest grosser worldwide after Three Idiots. It has earned a total of almost 180% profit at the box office.
The reason behind it being Blockbuster rather than an “All time blockbuster” is the movie’s failure to clinch the lifetime circuits wise records in major territories like Delhi, Mumbai and East Punjab!
(Source: ibodatabase.com, boxofficeindia.com)